Former Bangladesh captain Mohammad Ashraful is supposed to be eligible to return to cricket on or about August 13 this year but the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) is likely to explain the circumstances regarding the 32-year-old batsman's return in domestic competitions tomorrow.
“Definitely the board [BCB] will take a decision regarding his return. The board is communicating with the ICC's [International Cricket Council's] anti-corruption unit regarding all the details of his return. Hopefully we will be able to make everything clear on Saturday,” said BCB's CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury yesterday.
In June 2014, Ashraful had been banned for eight years by the Bangladesh Premier League (BPL) anti-corruption tribunal for his involvement in match and spot-fixing in the 2013 BPL.
Later the eight-year ban was reduced to a five-year one, with two years suspended after the disgraced cricketer had appealed to the disciplinary panel's chief.
The five-year ban is dated from August 13, 2013 and the last two years are suspended subject to his participation in a BCB or ICC anti-corruption education and training programme. "Upon production of a certificate of good conduct from the ICC, he will be eligible to return to cricket on or about August 13, 2016," a BCB press release then said.
According to sources, the board is happy with the participation of Ashraful, who had admitted his guilt before being banned, at the social programmes. But the board is now working with the ICC to determine the extent of his participation in the domestic competitions, especially whether he will be available to take part in any franchise competitions.