A woman and her daughter were burnt to death and her son sustained burn injuries when their house caught fire in Bujbal village under Rajnagar upazila early yesterday.
The deceased were Rokeya Begum, 55, and her daughter Shahina Begum, 24, a 4th year honours student at Moulvibazar Government College, while the injured is Munna Aziz, 27.
Moulvibazar Police Station Assistant Sub-Inspector Billal Hossain told this correspondent that the fire broke out from an electrical short-circuit at around 2:00am while Rokeya and her children were asleep in their tin-shed house.
Hearing their screams, locals rushed to the house and doused the fire with the help of a fire fighting unit from Moulvibazar.
Later, they recovered the charred body of Shahina and rescued severely burned Rokeya and Munna, he added.
Rokeya succumbed to her injuries after they were admitted to Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital, while Munna has been taken to the burn unit of Dhaka Medical College Hospital, Moulvibazar Sadar Hospital Resident Medical Officer Polash Roy told this correspondent.