Another dies after eating puffer fish in Sylhet
08:14 PM, December 07, 2016 / LAST MODIFIED: 08:26 PM, December 07, 2016

Another dies after eating puffer fish in Sylhet

Health warning issued

Another woman, who fell sick after taking puffer fish in Jaintapur upazila of Sylhet yesterday, died at a hospital in the city early today, raising the death toll to six.

The deceased -- Chatunnessa, 65, of Thubang village under Jaintapur upazila -- died around 3:00am at Mount Adora Hospital, our Sylhet correspondent reports quoting Joynul Abedin, chairman of Jaintapur upazila parishad.

Five people including children and women died and 12 others fell sick yesterday after eating the puffer fish in Jaintapur upazila of Sylhet.

Ten more people were admitted to different local hospitals after they fell sick eating the toxic fish in the same upazila.

Meanwhile, the district Civil Surgeon office today issued a health alert asking people not to eat the fish.

Brig Gen Abdus Sabur Miah, director of Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College Hospital, said puffer fishes are more poisonous than cyanide and there is a high chance of death eating the fish.

A medical board has been formed headed by Prof Dr Enayet Hossain, head of the department of Medicine at Sylhet Osmani Medical College Hospital.

Dr Enayet said puffer fish contains a very strong poison of which there is no antidote.

“We are trying to save the lives with different alternative treatment options considering their physical condition,” he added.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone and Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top