Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan yesterday said necessary actions will be taken against Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Police Mizanur Rahman once the probe report reaches the home ministry.
“The probe report regarding DIG Mizan has already been submitted to Police Headquarters (PHQ), and we will take measures after getting the report from PHQ with recommendation for punishment,” he said.
The minister came up with the remarks while responding to reporters' queries after paying respect to a memorial at Mirpur Police Staff College in the capital marking the Police Memorial Day-2018.
A number of allegations flared up against DIG Mizan including picking up a 25-year-old woman on July 15 last year and forcibly marrying her, and picking up a female news presenter of a private television channel at gunpoint in December last year.
Earlier on Monday, Moinur Rahman Chowdhury, additional inspector general of PHQ, also chief of the three-member probe committee, submitted the report to the Discipline and Professional Standard wing of PHQ.
Talking with The Daily Star, members of the investigation committee said there are a number of allegations against DIG Mizan but the committee has found the evidence of his involvement in two incidents, which they mentioned in the probe report.
The investigation committee members, without elaborating further, mentioned that all the allegations already came in the media.
But the evidence of his involvement is found in a few cases, they said, adding that DIG Mizan would also be charged for his “misconduct” as a government official.
DIG Mizan, now attached to the PHQ, was an additional commissioner of Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) before being withdrawn on January 9.
DIG Mizan allegedly issued threats to Nesarul Haque Khokon, senior reporter of Bangla daily Jugantor; and Abdullah Tuhin, special correspondent of Jamuna Television, while he was talking to a TV presenter over the phone.
The threats came after the journalists ran reports of alleged forced marriage and torture on a woman.
Mizan allegedly picked up 25-year-old Moriam Akter Eko in front of her Panthapath house on July 15 last year and then forcibly married her, according to a statement of Moriam's mother Queen Talukdar.
In the statement, sent to different media outlets, Queen Talukdar also alleged that her daughter was also implicated in a false case and was jailed for three weeks.
DIG Mizan's name also surfaced in the media for allegedly picking up a female news presenter of a private television channel at gunpoint on December last year.