The flights, carrying Bangladeshi pilgrims to Saudi Arabia to perform hajj this year, will begin from July 14, said Religious Affairs Minister Motiur Rahman yesterday.
Speaking to the press at the Secretariat, he also said prospective hajjis will not require any police verification this year -- a process for which they used to face harassment. A total of 1,27,198 pilgrims are set to perform hajj this year from the country.
Earlier in the day, the minister inaugurated the registration process of the hajj pilgrims for 2018 under government management. The process will continue till March 11. The government has opened a hotline -- 09602666707 -- at the ministry for receiving complaints regarding hajj management and fraudulence. It will remain open for providing information about hajj.
Meanwhile, acting Religious Affairs Secretary Anisur Rahman said hajj agencies will be rewarded for good performance and punished for irregularities.