Clinic secretly transfers boy after surgery | The Daily Star
12:00 AM, April 20, 2018 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:00 AM, April 20, 2018

Shady Affair

Clinic secretly transfers boy after surgery

Patient now on life support in another hospital; clinic staff beat up journo when he went to inquire

On Monday, Abdul Baten admitted his four-year-old son to a private clinic in Rangpur city.

The four-year-old was suffering from hernia. The doctors said they needed to conduct a surgery on him immediately. The worried father agreed right away.

A team of doctors, led by Dr Mosaddeque Hossain, performed the surgery on him at Jonoseba Clinic in Bus Terminal area the same night.

Baten, a resident of Saltigopalpur village under Mithapukur upazila, wanted to see his son after the surgery. But the clinic staff did not allow him.

The next morning, the father tried to see his son again, but to no avail. The entire day, the concerned father kept on asking to see his son, but the staff refused.

On Wednesday evening, a desperate Baten informed journalists about the matter.

A few of them along with camerapersons went to the clinic around 8:00pm and inquired about the boy. The staff again declined to say anything, they said.

AKM Sumon, cameraperson of Asian Television in Rangpur, then started recording the incident. Suddenly, some of the staff swooped on him. They started beating Sumon with sticks, said Badsha Osman, Rangpur correspondent of Asian Television.

Later, locals and other journalists rescued Sumon and took him to Rangpur Medical College Hospital. Dr Tofazzal Hossain of the neurosurgery department at the hospital said Sumon received injuries in head and back.

The incident triggered an outrage among journalists and locals. Soon, people started gathering in front of Jonoseba Clinic.

Abdul Baten, father of the four-year-old boy, alleged that the clinic staff did not let him see his son as they provided wrong treatment to him and were trying to hide that.

Eventually around 10:00pm, Dr Mosaddeque said the boy was sent to another hospital on Monday as his condition deteriorated after the surgery.

When asked, he did not elaborate any further as to why the staff attacked the journalist or why they did not inform the parents about transferring their son to another hospital.

The boy is currently being treated at Prime Medical College Hospital in Rangpur. Seeking anonymity, a doctor at the hospital said he is on life support. His condition is not stable.

Meanwhile, journalist Sumon alleged that it was Dr Mosaddeque who provoked the staff to attack him, which the doctor refuted.

Babul Mia, officer-in-charge of Rangpur Sadar Police Station, said police were looking into the matter. No case was filed yet.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone and Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News