Death toll in Sylhet stone pit rises to 8
12:00 AM, January 21, 2018 / LAST MODIFIED: 02:55 AM, January 21, 2018

Death toll in Sylhet stone pit rises to 8

Another worker died while extracting stones in an illegal operation in Shah Arefin Tila area at Companiganj upazila in Sylhet yesterday.

With this, a total of eight people have now died in the first three weeks of the year while extracting stones there. Last year, 32 people died in illegal stone quarries in Sylhet.

Deceased Mohammad Sadik, 20, was the son of Abdul Khalik of Bagharpar in the upazila.

Saifiqur Rahman Khan, officer-in-charge of Companiganj Police Station, said Sadik was working as a helper on a tractor.

Quoting witnesses, the OC said the driver of the tractor lost control while driving the vehicle out of a deep pit. The tractor tumbled back into the pit crushing the Sadik.

“We have recovered the body and sent it to Sylhet MAG Osmani Medical College for autopsy,” the OC said.

Stone extraction is prohibited in Shah Arefin Tila area, but stone lifter continue their operation.

Abul Lays, Companiganj upazila nirbahi officer, said the administration has built walls preventing roads into the area to stop stone lifting but traders somehow manage to find alternative ways.

A taskforce formed with members of the administration, police, environment department and Border Guard Bangladesh has been working to stop illegal stone extraction in the district.

“The administration and the taskforce are trying their level best, but we also need support from the people,” the UNO said.

Stay updated on the go with The Daily Star News App. Click here to download it for your device.

Grameenphone and Robi:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2222

Banglalink:
Type START <space> BR and send SMS it to 2225

Leave your comments

Top News

Top News

Top